[meteorite-list] OT: For the Geologists and Math Wizards!

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 23:47:48 -0600

If the two combine as some sort of conglomerate (like a breccia), and
the combination doesn't result in voids, then the bulk density can't be
lower than the density of the lowest density material. But if the two
combine chemically, resulting in an alloy or in the formation of
different minerals, certainly the bulk density could be lower than
either of the constituents (because you could have an increase in volume).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com