[meteorite-list] Meteorite Auction Days Numbered?

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:52:12 -0400

Eric,
EBay has been sued many times. Luckily they keep winning. Even so they have had to make numerous changes.
Supposedly the USA sales account for about 46 percent (4 billion dollars) of their total sales so, by limiting some of the off-shore visibility they may be cutting their own throat. On the other hand people who depend on off-shore sales could lose a possible 54 percent of their revenue. Ouch!
According to the link below they are actively trying to stop the fraud but, it takes people like us to hit the "report" button in order to stop the auctions. They told me that three day auctions are very hard to catch in time though. Consequently some stuff does fall through the cracks.
For these reasons I think eBay will continue to try and continue as many sales as possible without becoming too much "the Man".

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/07/ebay_claims_vic.html

Carl
eBay seller ;
Meteoritemax

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote".