[meteorite-list] Meteorite Auction Days Numbered?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:40:44 -0400 (EDT)

Any corrections?:

Clearly a lot more going on in eBay with the international viewing of
auction than many of us were aware. I searched a bit and information
is all cock-eyed, but this seems to be the gist of it:

* If you list on eBay.com, you have no problem and anyone browsing
eBay.com can find your stuff as always, internationally, there are no
fees. Ebay has not charged any international visibility fees for this
- before or now.

* Some countries have their own sites, a more tailored interface for
citizens. Some listings mysteriously from the ebay.com site appear
there at no fee, usually when the endemic offering is small, while
others don't. So if you want to appear in the ebay.de or the ebay.it,
ebay.ct, the ebay.pt site, etc., you have the option in the .com site
of paying a fee per additional market to guarantee you will appear - if
you really think it is worth it to appear there in the first place,
remembering people searching ebay.com will see you and you are just
trying to go the extra painful mile (km?) to put you name to some
country.

* Each of those national market sites has a database of blacklisted
words designed to protect the site; however, a lot gets lost in machine
auditing and listings are getting the international visibility boot,
which no human can understand and address by trial and error. So what
is happening lately defies explanation and has been called a bug by
some as eBay tries to rework the problems in its new can of stinking
sardines it opened and remerge things to some hybrid of what they were
and the present situation. It seems to be a hot potato at the moment
that will improve by necessity.

* Some countries, especially in the UK which has a dual
European/American commercial base, have been paying an additional fee
to be visible in other countries, for longer than others depending
where eBay stuck its fingers first.

* eBay seems to have"opened a stinking can of sardines" with
international visibility and is trying to migrate back to a more
universal platform, free, especially with the US, Canada and Australia
in one block, possibly also the UK included. The way they are
controlling what appears where is by making sure you have indicated
automatically the shipping cost to whereverland.

* People contacting eBay customer service have been very frustrated and
not gotten many concrete reasons, more often than not misleading advice
is received.

* The alternative on eBay is just to use the ebay.com site and hope
your customers worldwide do to. This is a prettydecent for in
meteorites. If not, you can create a second seller ID on your favorite
international site and isolate your international feedback, which can
be a good idea considering the issues that crop up with customs and
shipping that are beyond your control which can cause buyers'
frustration.

Kindest wishes
Doug