[meteorite-list] Named masses: Ausson and Clarac

From: rm31 at free.fr <rm31_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 22:34:49 +0200

Hi Jeff,

I have a French one for your list.

Ausson meteorite (L5) includes two stones fallen at two different places.
Please refer to the detailed explanations and documents that Mark Grossman
published on his blog:
http://meteoritemanuscripts.blogspot.com/2010/11/recently-discovered-letter-sheds-light.html

Witnessed fireball + explosion, S of Toulouse, SW France, in 1858.
In CLARAC (43.098,0.626), a stone of about 10 kg fell through the edge of a
thatched roof.
In AUSSON (43.083,0.594), 3 km away, a stone weighting around 40 kg was found
buried more than a meter deep in the ground.
Ref.: Petit, Sur l'aerolithe du 9 decembre. C.R.A.S., n?47, p1053-1055, 1858

There are 3 samples of this meteorite held in collections (University + Museum)
in Toulouse: 2 big ones from Ausson (860 and 1100 g), and a small one from
Clarac (18 g).

Renaud