[meteorite-list] [IMCA] Elections

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:36:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Elizabeth,

I agreed with your post and got a kick out of some of the replies to
it. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, so I just consider myself
a provisional IMCA member (which is one tier above an unclassified
IMCAer) since I was in on it founding when things were free, and I
recall a a year more, but decided to save the $100-$200 since then as
I've never had a problem in thousands of interchanges, knock on wood
;-). But that could change in an instant ;-( though I don't know if
anybody could remedy much if you go in good faith to start with and
someone else is a bad apple.

Really though, IMCA stuff should be kept 100% on that list or in
private for a number of reasons

- for politics, we on the list cannot know the complete story so it is
Palin or Obama spam at worst and advertising at best which should be
within the IMCA and subject to its rules, if by candidates up for
election on a level playing field as we assume all are qualified and
the electorate is educated to make decisions based on personal
inclinations.
- because some people are sensitive to public peer pressures to pay for
something they may not yet have a need and otherwise might actualy have
already joined if not for the stigma of arm-twisting.
- because the IMCA should not expose any of its mullings to the public
to accomplish the primary goal of presenting an effective force to get
things accomplished rather than getting sidetracked with nonsensical
detail noise which can be misinterpreted by others
- because the IMCA can be misquoted by corresponding in good faith in a
contenscious situation that can later become distorted because someone
became disgruntled about who knows what, and later the IMCA can't
respond to such manipulation without exposing confidential information

As a matter of fact, the IMCA shares a lot in common with judges in
Mexico. That is why by law they are only allowed to speak through
their resolutions and decisions. Kind of takes the fun away from going
to court there...oops sorry for the mumbling, it's been a dasterdly day.

Good luck to you and to all those involved in this!

Kindest wishes and good seeing!
Doug