[meteorite-list] Durability of provenance

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:20:49 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi All,

Paul has asked.." Are either of the pieces, or both, considered to be "ex Museum of Natural History...?"

In my zeal to accumulate a cabinet of meteorite types...all with provenance if offered and available..I have purchased several hundred in the past three years. Many were fragments, or slices, from stones originating out of other collections than the one offering. For example. A Nakhla individual, minus .5 grams used by the original recipient from the Museum for testing purposes. The remaining 2.1 grams that I purchased from an institution of higher learning had the paperwork showing its provenance was the "British Museum of Natural History". The fact that it had been held by another scientist and then the university didn't change it's pedigree in my eyes.

I consider any portion of a specimen that was logged in, or recorded as being in, a collection..perhaps several consecutive collectionsm or dealer inventories... as being properly described if it so represented. I do ask for documents, or copies of documents supporting the claim of provenance and chain of possesion.

This has been my experience so far...

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536