[meteorite-list] Durability of provenance

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:47:18 -0400

Hi Paul and List,

I would say yes and no.

Technically speaking, the material originated from the institutional
collection. But, the material has been cut/modified by the dealer, so
it is not in the original form that came from the institution.

Personally, as a seller, I would disclose up front that the material
originated from XXX collection, but has been cut down since then. I'd
provide a copy of the original specimen card or label, and a copy of
my own label. That way, a potential buyer can decide ahead of time if
they still want to purchase the specimen, and if they do, they will
have provenance from the original piece and the sliced/cut specimen
that came from it.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com