[meteorite-list] (meteorobs) Major Fireball Over Southern California, Arizona, and Southern Nevada

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:17:26 -0400

Jim,

Reports come into the AMS website and go directly into a database with
a PENDING status. A human being has to review the reports, assign an
event ID and then approve the event before it will show up on the
site. Bob Lunsford usually does this work. Bob doesn't get off work
today until 3:00 PM so I'm helping him out and reviewed and approved
them all just now.

Because we have the new system and everything is in a database I was
able to review and publish 100+ reports in 5 minutes. That puts 100
reviewed and approved reports onto the AMS site in about 14 hours
after the fall. That is pretty freaking good IMO!!!

Considering on the old AMS website, the process was manual and an
event of this size would have taken Bob Lunsford 10s of hours of HTML
labor to manually update the website, this is a major improvement. Not
sure if you remember but in the past with the manual reporting it
could take days or weeks before the logs would be updated as the
process was very time intensive for Bob.

I have been thinking about adding a section to the website where you
could see what is inside the 'unapproved queue'. This might be a nice
feature for folks who are eagerly waiting to see the reports of new
fireballs ;).

As you noted the reports are now available on the site. Should have
maps and trajectories in another hour or so.

For more information regarding the new AMS website please see this
post and check out the power point slides that illustrate the new
capabilities of the site and fireball reporting tools.

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/comets/nasa-meteor-workshop-august-3-4-2011/

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks!