[meteorite-list] Oum Rokba (H5)

From: Zelimir.Gabelica at uha.fr <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:38:49 +0200

Hello Bob,

Oum Rokba was apparently re-named "NWA 400".

I purchased my specimen from Blaine Reed in 2001 and the provenance on
his label was then "Algeria" (neither Morocco, nor Western Sahara).

If you look at the MetBull database, NWA 400 is still provisional and
the synonym "Oum Rokba" is not mentioned. But Algeria is well the
country reported...

Here is the writeup from my catalog of my specimen, now listed as NWA 400:

NWA 400 (?Oum Rokba?), Algeria, H5, found 2000; tkw: Many at 100+ kg.
Coll. code: BR 01/362.
Brief description:
"Individual, 100% crusted, 44.71 g, 45x35x15 mm, brown, irregular,
wind-polished chunk. Last meteorite from Sahara having received a
(formerly official) name, thus ?Oum Rokba? (see Met. Times, Dec. 2008)
before the ?NWA nomenclature?. Oum Rokba will (should ?) soon become a
synonym of NWA 400, name still to be confirmed as well..."

I recognize there is still some confusion about that one and will be
also glad to learn more if someone can help further.

Best wishes,

Zelimir

Robert Verish <bolidechaser at yahoo.com> a ??crit??: