[meteorite-list] 8000BC Big Dipper Petroglyph: Evolution of star positions

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:15:11 -0600

Hi Larry-

I'm not quite sure what you are disagreeing with. My use of the term
"asterism" as opposed to "constellation"? Maybe I was unclear in some
way about what I said, because I can't find a disagreement between what
you said and what I said.

To be clear, I was discussing how asterisms change with time, due to
proper motion, not how constellation boundaries change. I was merely
pointing out that most star charting software has the primary purpose of
showing how the sky looks on a specific date, as determined by looking
at the orbit of the Earth, the rotation of the Earth, precession, the
observer's position on the Earth, etc - and this can only be accurately
determined over a few thousand years. Some sky charting software also
adjusts the positions of the stars based on proper motion, but even
though that can be done over millions of years, many programs don't
support this because they deliberately limit the valid epochs to those
for which accurate charting is possible.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com