[meteorite-list] 8000BC Big Dipper Petroglyph: Evolution of star positions

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:45:07 -0600

That's because precise calculation of the positions of the planets-
including Earth- is only possible for a few thousand years. Beyond that,
the chaotic nature of orbital dynamics in a multiple body system becomes
dominant. No software, professional or amateur, can provide an accurate
topocentric sky map for more than a few thousand years either way from
the present.

That is quite different from estimating the shapes of asterisms over
time. In most cases, the proper motion of the brighter stars is well
known, and makes it possible to know what constellations will look like
over periods of millions of years. But since the purpose of sky charting
software is primarily to produce accurate topocentric star maps, they
generally limit themselves to a much shorter period. They won't let you
look at the Big Dipper 100,000 years ago, not because they can't
accurately render it, but because they can't accurately position the
entire asterism in the sky.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory