[meteorite-list] 8000BC Big Dipper Petroglyph

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 03:46:38 -0400 (EDT)

Dear List (still with Ron Hartman on my mind ... I think he would what
I'm posting here).

The maximum it will "deform" from our insignificant vantage point...the
bowl by 5% and the entire asterism they might move up to 2%. So, yes -
it will look basically the same unless you are an astronomer.

If you wonder how I came up with that:

Star motions are basically measured in milliarcseconds per year (mas).
There are 3,600,000 mas in one degree. The Moon and Sun are both about
a half degree, and they are pretty small (About 720 of them in a
necklace would be required to circle the heavenly sphere).

If you make believe you are looking at the inside face of a shell we
are in, astronomers use two coordinates to locate any point (R.A. and
declination). The is nothing much different in the motion of this
stars in the range of motions in either, so let?s just for fun look at
the most separation that could happen in 8000 years without trusting
any canned software (nothing against them - they are great, but take
the fun of learning out and replace it with a black box and results
delivered on a silver platter).

Here are the speeds of the motions of RA for each of the stars in the
big dipper (the plough; el arado, el carro, the pan, etc.):

Dubhe: 136 mas/yr
Merak: 81 mas/yr
Phecda: 108 mas/yr
Megrez: 104 mas/yr
Alioth: 112 mas/yr
Mizar: 121 mas/yr
Alkaid: 121 mas/yr

If you assume the absolute worst case, of two stars running away from
each other in opposite directions, that would be Dubhe (-136) and
Alkaid (+121), you get a separation speed of 257 mas/yr. In 8000 years
that gives you 2,000,000 mas. That is just a wee bit more than the
angular diameter of the Sun or Moon - and that is worst case;
declination actually looks less acute, but it is fine to estimate.

In conclusion, each star at most has moved relative to each of its
companions one half degree in the extreme. This compares to the size
of the big dipper: the four stars in the "bowl" portion span about 10
degrees. From the end of the handle to the opposite tip of the bowl is
about 25 degrees.

So that's the maximum it will "deform" from our insignificant vantage
point...the bowl by 5% and the entire asterism they might move up to
2%. So, yes - it will look basically the same unless you are an
astronomer.

A similar question came up with the 6000 (or whatever) year old Orion's
belt stars when comparing them for the hypothesis that the three main
pyramids in Giza were in the belt stars' configuration. I believe it
was Rob who mentioned this controversial claim. I don't buy it, but it
has been looked at ad naseum and the conclusion is that they are still
close enough so it is a viable conjecture.

Kindest wishes
Doug.