[meteorite-list] Meteorites delivered Earth's gold

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

Carl & all,
From what I understand gold is deposited with quartz because gold rarely occurs as a mineral.? Mineral deposits are formed by mineralized waters and magma. As these solutions move along faults, joints and form veins,?different elements "mate?together" to produce minerals as pressure/temp conditions change.??The remaining solution?will consist of the elements that didn't precipitate our or?combine with the other elements to form a specific mineral.? This is usually excess silica, which comes out as quartz (because there are few things left to combine with and produce silicate minerals) and gold (if it was there to begin with).? I suppose this is how most deposits of native metals/elements occur.? It's?a basic prospector's understanding, but that is what I have come to learn.? Gold and quartz don't have to be together, but they often are.? But that's not because quartz is necessary in the formation of gold.
?
All elements on earth come from space, both gold and silica.? I've never looked into why quartz doesn't occur in meteorites, but I suspect that conditions existed where all the silica was used up to form silicate minerals (that we do find in meteorites) and no excess silica remained to form quartz.? Gold occurs in meteorites in traces because it isn't abundant in the solar system. Gold occurs in commercial deposits on earth because it can be concentrated by weathering processes found on earth.? That doesn't occur in space so it remain as a trace element.
?
I hope the others out there who have a better understanding will chime in and correct me and fill in the gaps of my limited understanding :)
?
Clear skies,
Mark B
Vail, AZ