[meteorite-list] Was : High Noon! - Suggestion about List relevance to meteorites

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:46:49 -0400

Hi John and List,

Just like how we flag advertisements to the List with the post prefix
"AD:", then perhaps we could could flag the "serious" meteorite
discussions (science, new fall-find discussions, etc), could be
flagged with a prefix like "SCI:" - lesser or typical meteorite banter
would just fly by without a prefix.

List members who only want to see "very serious" discussions could
filter out all List emails without the "SCI" prefix in the subject
line. This would limit their influx to discussion about meteoritics,
falls/finds, important news, etc.

I know this is probably not very practical, and shouldn't be necessary
in a perfect world, but maybe it's something to spark a better idea to
accomplish the same goal - a better signal to noise ratio on the List.

FWIW, the definitions of noise and signal varies from person to
person. Also, the amount of noise that is tolerable to a given person
also varies widely. It's going to be impossible to perfectly moderate
or filter the List to everyone's satisfaction. AFAIK, Art is the only
administrator and moderator and he is a single person with a real life
outside of this List. Given the number of List members and the
average rate of chatter, it would be a full-time job to screen and
moderate the List for content. It's one thing to decline messages
from people on a "ban list", but it's another thing entirely to read
every message in the queue for content and relevancy. And even if he
could accomplish that, Art's discretion may or may not make every
happy all of the time - because he is human and every member is human.

Every rational and intelligent List member is a positive asset to the
List, and nobody wants to see a List exodus - even the people I have
butted heads with in the past, are still people who make valuable
positive contributions to the List (well some of them anyway). Even
if a person is not particularly liked by some or all, if that person
can intelligently discuss meteorites from time to time, then they are
an overall asset in my opinion.

On a message board/forum, the discussions are broken down into
individual topics to organize the discussions - and make it easier to
wade through the noise and find the desired signal. We do not have
that ability on a mailing list, so it's up to each member to set the
squelch to their desired level and reduce the noise to find the
signal.

The only alternative is a fully moderated List where each post is
screened for content. This would require a single person with no
life outside of list moderation, or a team of moderators to shoulder
the load. Each moderator would be human and subject to their own
discretions and that might produce problems with inconsistency between
the moderators when it comes to judgement calls on approving posts to
the List.

To wrap up this ditty, I see this List the way I see my cable TV
line-up. Yes, there is stuff I have no interest in, but buried in the
lineup of channels, there is usually something of value that I can
learn something from. This List is leagues better than TV in terms of
signal to noise ratio.

To get back on-topic, why don't we discuss the meteorite-relevant data
that will soon come out of the NASA Dawn program to Vesta. :)

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - and the simplest solution to this whole mess and it requires no
moderators : use your email client to filter out (block) List emails
from members that you cannot tolerate or those whose noise to signal
ratio is the highest. I've done that over the years, and my enjoyment
of the List has increased.