[meteorite-list] Meteorite Appraisal for Insurance?

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:02:06 -0400

?

Hi Mike and all,

I've been down that path before. I think you will find that most insurance
companies won't want to insure your collection. Mainly because they have no
idea of true value and replacement cost would be difficult for them to
figure. I'm sure that you have pieces that are rare and may be impossible to
replace. This scares insurance companies. They would have to have a
realistic value they could pay you for settlement in advance. Also maybe you
have a piece that is a high character piece and nice, they may check on eBay
and find an fragment with no character selling for 5 or 10 times less which
creates a difficulty for them when replacing. They are always going to go
with a lower price for replacement. Also they may depreciate your collection
if they had to replace it unless you get a replacement clause in such an
agreement. Some pieces will actually increase in value which will scare
them.

I was given a quote and only Lloyds of London would insure in the early
days. In about 5 or 6 years I could have bought a collections just a large
(and nice) and as many pieces for what my premiums were going to cost me. My
feelings were this was not cost effective. I was able to get my homeowners
insurance to consider insuring the specimens much later on. They wanted
pictures values, and receipts of all items I was going to insure. Again the
cost of insuring was going to be high because they aren't sure how to put a
proper value on meteorites because they just don't know how to. They
suggested just insuring the most valuable ones to minimize loss.

This subject has been brought up before and I believe the consensus was
this. Buy a high quality fire proof safe and store your specimens when not
studying or displaying. I'd talk to your local firemen and get an opinion on
where best to put the safe. Having it upstairs during a fire it may fall
into the crawlspace or basement. If it lands on it's side or back, water can
get in and damage specimens. Better to place down in an basement and in a
corner or build or have built a structure that would support it and keep it
in place in a house. If in a basement you should put it on something to
raise it so water won't get in during a fire when firemen are putting the
fire out.

If you get an appraisal, make sure it isn't by some amateur. I'd get someone
like Blaine Reed or AL Lang to do it. Also you should get more than one to
show some sort of consistency. Getting someone to come in and appraise would
cost you the cost of their travel and what ever they would charge you. Get
an estimate first. I'm sure there are other ideas out there but this has
been my experience. Best!

--AL Mitterling

Mitterling Meteorites