[meteorite-list] Hard to Polish Meteorites - Any Ideas? (diamond grit sandpaper?)

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:38:56 -0400

Hi Count and List,

Distilled water is the best. It has no chlorine in it. Anyone
cutting with tap water is introducing chlorine into their specimens
and that will result in an unstable specimen and could possibly start
a lawrencite disease reaction. A gallon of distilled water is less
than one dollar, so I don't understand why people don't use it -
unless they have a giant 16" slabbing saw which would be impractical
to use distilled water. My 6-inch saw coolant tank only holds about
one quart of water to the top, but I only fill it just enough to cover
the "bottom" cutting edge of the blade. I pour more into the tank
through the blade slot when needed.

Anyone who uses tap water is asking for trouble later on - rusting,
ugly, sick specimens and unhappy buyers.

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
On 10/28/11, Count Deiro <countdeiro at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi Mike and List,
>
> Purchase the diamond polishing blocks online at:
>
> http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Polishing-Pads-Buffing-Compounds/Diamond-Hand-Pad-Polishing
>
> These are easier to use than the individual grit blocks and they are the
> same price. $100.00  I use a shallow plastic tray with a 1/2 inch, or so of
> distilled water and place the block in the bottom and move the meteorite by
> hand. Larger examples I hold on the bottom of the pan and move the block
> instead. Just enough water in the bottom to sluice off the block every few
> strokes.
>
> I find the argument that distilled water is bad for anything other than a
> pristine specimen undergoing scientific study unconvincing. I have had no
> incidents of accelerated deterioration, or rusting, with a specimen that has
> dried and stored properly. Just think how much water the stone has been
> subjected to in the hundreds to thousands of years prior to being found.
> (new falls excepted). Ambient high humidity locations subject your stones to
> water no matter what.
> I'm fortunate to live in the desert.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Count Deiro
> IMCA 3536

>>> 600 grit on small samples of friable material and move right into 1000