[meteorite-list] Hard to Polish Meteorites - Any Ideas?

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:34:09 -0400

Hi Peter, Ed, and List,

I know that the Hupes have a powered lap-polisher that most likely
uses a diamond grit. I need to break down and buy a lap-polisher
(flat lap). But I typically don't sand enough material to warrant the
expense of a flat lap. Also, I enjoy hand-sanding and find it to be a
zen-like relaxation exercise when combined with the right music. :)

But, every now and then I run across a meteorite that is stubborn and
won't take a polish. This is to be expected from friable types likes
LL6, most carbonaceous types, etc. But I know CR2 types are quite
hard and robust (also most CV3), so I expected this CR2 would be easy
to polish. Thus far, it has resisted my efforts to beautify it. It's
taking the polish, but the detail is becoming muddy and lost. I
thought it might be because I dry sand and powder from the sanding was
getting embedded in the matrix. So I tried giving the slice a quick
bath in alcohol, which removed most of the powder, but didn't improve
the appearance.

I have some 1200 and 1500 grit sandpaper, and I tried going straight
to those (skipping 400-1000), but the result is the same - muddy
matrix and subdued chondrules.

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com