[meteorite-list] Fwd: The Dark Side.. Oops!

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:19:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark, Bernd and Listers;

Yes ! The great naturalized Englishman W. Herschel obviously referred
to the dark side of the moon being the side that was not illuminated
facing the earth, and his word choice is perfectly accurate has nothing
to do with the present confusion, but it is interesting to contemplate
how the current confusion may have come about.

As for Rittenhouse, first known ATMer in the USA, Chladni's
inspiration, son of Matthias Rittenhouse, a second generation American
born of Westphalian* German (Rittenhausen) / Dutch heritage - and the
go-to guy for Ben Franklin when it came to instrument making:

His scientific connection to Herschel was strong - Herschel discovered
Uranus and Rittenhouse was the first in the Americas to observe it less
than two years later. Back in those days, that meant you could
calculate its position based on the orbital elements and were skilled
with the telescope to find it. Rittenhouse pointed his telescope at
where he calculates it to be and it immediately observed it. He was
shortly thereafter the source in the America to the "Almanacks" for
publication of corrected orbital elements for the newly discovered
planet.

On Rittenhouse and Herschel:

"Mr. Rittenhouse never possessed the means of acquiring such stupendous
and costly telescopes, as those used by Herschel, for the purpose of
exploring the heavens. But the penetrating genius of our countryman
seems to have contemplated, by anticipation, the actual existence of
those sublime phenomena, some of which the vastly superior instruments
of the Germano-Anglican Astronomer has since manifested; when, in
language apparently prophetic, but certainly dictated by the most
exalted pre-conceptions of the grandeur of celestial objects which were
yet undiscovered, the American Philosopher observes, as he does in his
Oration,---that "All yonder stars innumerable, with their dependencies,
may perhaps compose but the leaf of a flower in the Creator's garden,
or a single pillar in the immense building of the Divine
Architect."Well might he exclaim, with rapturous ecstasy, after so
beautiful a sublime reflection,---Here is ample provision made for the
all-grasping mind of man!"

It will be evident to such as duly reflect on this subject, that those
expectations which occupied the mind of Mr. Rittenhouse, so long since
as the year of 1775---concerning the "amazing discoveries" which
should, at some future period, be mad among the fixed stars, were not
conjectures or vague hypotheses; but they were rational anticipations
of realities, founded on the most acute observation and laborious
research, as well as the profoundest philosophical judgment."

 From the biography of David Rittenhouse (1813); review by the second
president of the USA, John Adams, sandwiched between Washington and
Jefferson:

"Mrs. Adams reads it with great delight, and reads to me what she finds
interesting, and that is, indeed, the whole book. I have not time to
hear it all."

*The unofficial Westphalian anthem was written by a descended relative
of David Rittenhouse, so in David Rittenhouse, Germany has been very
"instrumental" in establishing science in the United States and played
a role in the complete acceptance in the USA by science of the theory
that meteorites were of cosmic origin; that they were specifically
small objects that were orbiting the Sun independently which
occasionally crossed orbital paths with the Earth. It was the first
time since Diogenes, that this was stated, although in Diogenes? time
the understanding of celestial mechanics was not yet mastered, and
Rittenhouse?s conclusion was based on ?rational anticipations of
realities, founded on the most acute observation and laborious
research, as well as the profoundest philosophical judgment?.

Kindest wishes
Doug