[meteorite-list] Friable meteorites

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:12:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi John ---

Yup something like that!

But if yo9u want to be more mundane, a meteor seems to me to be just a
trail of plasma, same as lightning except for the seed (the meteoroid
itself). Lucky for us it is, because if it weren't, there would be
nothing to see. Or, at minimum, there would be no trail. The reason
for the delay and sight of the streak of light (persistent train) must
be because the air-particle mixture involved in the wake has been
turned into a plasma by the passing of the object. Once the energy
source passes, the electrons recombine with their nuclei and the plasma
is convertted into regular gas again.

So, just to be clear: You are not seeing the plasma (the actual shield)
when you see the meteor. What you are seeing is the energy (in the
form of light) that these free roaming electrons lose as soon as they
are recaptured by the nearest electron-stripped nuclei.

That's an interesting concept actually, because it is simply a decay -
so it has a bulk half life. What makes it interesting in this moment
is that the brightest point on the trail may or may not be right around
the "head" if the half life is sufficiently long since there is a
temperature dependence in order for the nuclei to capture the electrons
again, which will be different for each different mass and shape of
meteormass and atmospheric densit, in addition to the composition.

So it would be possibly observable if you could record an extremely
fast image, to see a snapshot in time of the light energy density and
how far back, or, generally speaking the energy density gradient
(=brightness).

That, to me brings up a whole world of possibilities of analysis.
Probably someone is studying this somewhere or maybe it is old hat, but
I don't have a clue. In effect what I'm saying is taking super short
exposures (time interval TBD) of meteors with determined locations one
could actually calculate how big the mass is. If a standard is needed,
an experiment could be designed to fire particles toward earth from a
low orbiting satellite.

Ah, if only I were in school again, I'd be a perpetual project hopping
student ;-)

Kindest wishes
Doug

PS, I love the "shields" abnalogy, but I want to correct my
"form-in-place" idea ... it was a sloppy way to say it because I also
got carried away with the beam-me-up stuff. Reading the above, it's
clwear the shield is not a form in place one, but rather a disposible
tunnel one. Well, at least the Enterprise can use its sensors to find
the residual. In order to make sense of when the Romulans sent each of
the meteoroid sized invaders to hide in Earth and track them down,
though, the main ship's computer will need to reference our paper on
half life relationship to be studied above...