[meteorite-list] Any experts on meteorite Kiris blades

From: Daniel Fronefield <dfronfld_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 19:02:43 -0600

While I'm not necessarily an "expert" on meteorite in Kris, I do happen to
be a bit of an expert on the use of meteorite in knife blades.

Lots of varied opinions about damascus steel out there and especially the
use of meteorites in the fabrication of blades. There are in fact, a few
Kris made with meteorite, validated by chemical analysis. But ... there are
none that are typically available to the general public. As noted, this is
hype to get tourists to purchase more contemporary blades that are laminated
or damascus steel.

Meteorite is not suitable for use on the edge of a knife since meteorites
have virtually no carbon content, the element which makes steel hardenable.
So, if a damascus (or laminated steel) blade were made with meteorite, the
portion of meteorite on the edge would be about as hard as a metal coat
hanger and would not hold an edge. If anyone has a serious interest in the
use of meteorite in knife blades, damascus steel or wootz steel (the 'true'
damascus)a, I'd be happy to expound upon the subjects.

Regards,
Dan Fronefield

Meteor Forge
http://Meteorforge.net
"Specializing in meteorites and other exotic materials"