[meteorite-list] Top Ten Completed eBay Auctions

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:12:11 -0700 (PDT)

I find it interesting that the top ten completed eBay auctions, as far as price is concerned, under meteorites only, are not meteorites at all.? Out of curiosity, many auction watchers look at the highest priced items first.? It is too bad that fraud tends to favor the high-end or perhaps it is wishful thinking in some desperate person's mind after hearing how valuable some meteorites are.

These people ruin it for legitimate sellers because their poorly described and non-documented fakes detract from the real thing. I do not think their are too many buyers left with enough confidence to purchase a seriously high-ticket item off of eBay these days.? Multimillion dollar deals on items other than meteorites on eBay used to be common a few years ago but not anymore.

Perhaps if accurate and not overinflated prices of meteorites were reported in the media, these fakes would soon disappear.? This may be wishful thinking on my part.??

Best Regards,

Adam