[meteorite-list] Impact or Vulcanism?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:41:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Paul, all -

As we can see at Shiva, impact does not preclude volcanic eruptions, and may in fact precede eruption, if close enough to an active fault.

As a general rule in the study of catastrophes, one catastrophe does not exclude another from happening nearly simultaneously. The eruption of Thera in 1628, at the same time as a dust loading from Comet Encke, demonstrates this even more clearly.

Paul, I thank you for your links on the Pacific coast cores and for your help with the western glacial lakes. That is quite a lot of material to go through.

I still think that Hibben saw what he saw.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas