[meteorite-list] Does Friction or Ram Pressure Cause Meteor Ablation

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:13:39 -0700

"Friction" is not a great term. But the answer is both... which is
dominant depends on the size of the meteoroid with respect to the mean
free path between collisions with atmospheric particles.

Objects on the order of a centimeter or larger are mainly heated by ram
pressure effects. Objects smaller than that are heated by a more complex
process involving kinetic energy transfer due to particle collisions-
often called friction, but actually rather different from the usual
definition of that word.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory