[meteorite-list] Holocene Extinctions and a different lake

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:47:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Paul, all -

Paul, I am sorry I wasted your time on Lake Missoula.

I'm glad to hear that all the debate about the dating of the Lake Misssoula flooding has now been cleared up. Does the same thing hold for Lake Bonneville, and other Ice Age plains lakes?

Here was the problem:
http://uonews.uoregon.edu/archive/news-release/2011/3/california-islands-give-evidence-early-seafaring

"The points and crescents are similar to artifacts found in the Great Basin and Columbia Plateau areas, including pre-Clovis levels at Paisley Caves in eastern Oregon."

You have maritime cultures moving inland, essentially still living on clams, fish, and marsh birds. The dates are pre-clovis.

(And thus before the Holocene Start Impacts, which are well evidenced by a global distribution of impact products, including impact products distributed by the atmosphere and recovered from glaciers, currently estimated to have occured ca. 10,750 BCE. By the way, those cores you mention should also be showing the Holocene Start Impacts as well, so a special thanks for those links.)

Now here's the Great Basin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Basin
And here's the Coumbia Plateau:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Plateau

And here's Paisley Caves, near one dried up ice age lake:
http://www.donsmaps.com/coproliteevidence.html

And notice the mt A haplogroup (siouxian) and the mt B haplogroup (asian origin, Assiniboine Nakota)? found there:
http://archaeology.about.com/b/2008/04/03/paisley-caves-the-discovery-of-preclovis-human-dna.htm

Now all I need is a map of the western glacial lakes of the late pleistocene, with which I could then compare the distribution of artifacts. But I do not play a geologist on television, nor am I one in real life.

My guess is that with your vast knowledge of geology, pointing me to such a map would be a piece of cake, and it would take but a few minutes of your time, far less than the minutes you spent ruling out Lake Missoula as a candidate for the lake the Nakota remembered living on.

For that matter, you could do a far better job then I could in looking for Pacific Current cooling evidence in those Pacific coast cores.

Thanks,
Ed