[meteorite-list] Meteorite Escrow Service

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 21:35:45 -0500

Hi Abe, Gents, Ladies,

Although it's been discussed a hundred times in the past, it bears
repeating in this case just to refresh some memories and educate some
of the newer or less active members of the List.

When in doubt about a meteorite offered to you, consult with the Met List. :)

If you are a member of the IMCA, then all the better - you can ask
their email List and get good answers about the legitimacy of an
offer, a seller, or a specimen.

But, if you are not an IMCA member, or you are a newbie, or you just
don't have expertise in a certain area, then it never hurts to consult
this same List you are currently reading.

This List contains over a thousand (is that right now?) members from
all walks of life, from all backgrounds, and all four corners of the
world. Many are not prolific posters and may not be regular
contributors to this List. But there are many scientists, veteran
dealers, experienced hunters, knowledgeable collectors, and museum
curators on this List - current and retired. There is no question
about a meteorite that this List cannot answer with good authority -
as a collective entity. You also have IMCA members, non-IMCA members,
professional dealers and amateur dealers on this List - many of which
are very familiar with all aspects of the meteorite market for buyers.
 All of us are familiar with each other. There may be feuds and the
occasional slap-fight or drama, but all in all, you can expect a good
pool of answers to choose from. Consider us all a "jury" of sorts.

Newbies and or people who have just joined this List, will discover
that their email address is now busy with new inquiries and all types
of offers. Some sellers might have names unknown to the offer
recipient, but chances are someone on this List will know of the
seller and have some opinion about the reliability and reputation of
the seller. So if you get an email about meteorites and the sender is
unknown to you, consider the following :

1) meteorites are becoming more widely known, so scammers are crawling
out of the wood works to take advantage of this because meteorites
have financial value.

2) you will also get legitimate offers from honest sellers you have
never heard of. you may get offers from Moroccans, Europeans,
Americans, Australians, Japan, China, or elsewhere. there may be a
language barrier involved and it is easy to misinterpret things when
communicating via email using second languages.

3) you will also get offers or questions from well-meaning but
clueless people who have grandpa's old rock and want to sell it
because they *know* it is a meteorite because grandpa saw it fall that
night back in '48. Or you will get questions from people wanting you
to identify their rock and they will send you 20 attached photos that
are all blurry, dark, and show a lump of magnetite, welding slag,
river rock, rusted shovel head, or toliet plunger.

4) There are a 1000+ (give or take) members of this List. A small
handful are lurkers with ill intents, dealers who have fallen from
grace/joined the dark side, or people who are self-appointed experts
with prolific opinions and scant facts. You may get contacted
"off-list" by some of these people and you get offered some "great
deals" on so-so meteorite or a shipment of meteorites from overseas
(lets go in together on this lot), or whatever. When in doubt, go
ahead and ask the Met List.

Lastly, it always go without saying (so I will say it) - if it sounds
too good, then it's probably not true. If red flags goes up, your gut
instinct is usually not far off the truth. But go ahead and ask the
List.

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com