[meteorite-list] Vesta-Howardite confirmation and other new parent body research findings

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:07:22 -0500 (EST)

Dear List,

Here are 3 more articles from the Dec. 2011 issue of Icarus.

(1) Confirms a good Howardite match for Vesta by DAWN;
(2) DAWN related looks at how CM2 material on Vesta modifies the
Framing Camera spectra;
(3) Looks at Asteroid (101955) 1999 RQ36 and suggests an association
with CM1's

Kijndest wishes
Doug

Ultraviolet spectroscopy of Asteroid (4) Vesta
Pages 640-649

Highlights
? Multi-instrument measurements of Vesta?s geometric albedo in the UV
and visible.
? No UV spectral bluing or lightcurve reversal on Vesta.
? Longitudinal variation of Vesta UV spectral slope matches that in
visible.
? Fine-grained howardite matches Vesta?s spectrum from 220 nm to 950
nm.
? No evidence of space weathering in the UV?visible spectroscopy and
lightcurve.

How to characterize terrains on 4 Vesta using Dawn Framing Camera color
bands?
Pages 376-386

Highlights
? We present methods to classify terrains on Vesta using Dawn Framing
Camera images.
? Effects of exogenous material (CM2) on FC color spectra are also
presented.
? Pseudo Band I minimum can be used to derive ferrosilite content of
the surface.

Asteroid (101955) 1999 RQ36: Spectroscopy from 0.4 to 2.4 ?m and
meteorite analogs
Pages 462-475

"We speculate that RQ36 is composed of a ?CM1?-like material."

? We present reflectance spectra from 0.4 to 2.4 microns of asteroid
(101955) 1999 RQ36.
? RQ36 is the target of the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft mission.
? We performed parametric tests and a least-squares search through
RELAB meteorite data.
? Results show that CI and/or CM meteorites are the most likely
meteorite analogs for RQ36.
? We also compare RQ36 with other known B-type asteroids measured by
Clark et al. (2010).