[meteorite-list] Lutetia

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:45:27 -0500 (EST)

Any of this has to be taken in a very speculative sense as there are no
smoking guns or even luminous trail as was the case of Vesta.

The correction for weathering of the regolith is hokey when applied to
a case like this, and not one for which we have specimens already to
compare and make the adjustments already having the answer in the back
of the book to continuiously peek at.

In any case if the asteroid simply had a coat of paint, there is
nothing you could tell by looking at it with UV-Vis light, except that
it is painted - your eye could confirm this fact. The regolith can be
corrected when we are talking only a layer one ten-thousandth or so
thick, in which case you are essentially treating it as a thin section
using only reflected light.'

It will take a suite of instruments to do some better speculation,
which include precise measurements of gravitational and magnet
properties if possible, for example. But there's simply no substitute
for a specimen to tweak the science and publish the results fitted to
the reality instead of having the reality you speculate fitting to the
results ;-)

Kindest wishes
Doug