[meteorite-list] Cleaning a heavy iron meteorite

From: Graham Ensor <graham.ensor_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 23:11:38 +0000

Hi again,

I would be very wary of using wire brushes to clean a meteorite that
has an obvious black fusion crust hidden underneath. I have a 12kg
xxxNWA that was covered in white caliche which I cleaned chemically,
painstakingly bit by bit, neutralizing the acid every cm or so to stop
any soaking into the matrix and then washing in distilled water and
baked for a long time....it has remained very stable for many years
now.
It revealed delicate flow lines, regmaglypts, rollover lips and frothy
black bubbling perfectly preserved....I was amazed at what was
uncovered. All that would have been lost with a wire brush and
vigorous mechanical cleaning. It is to note however that some caliche
is very resistant, even to acid, and I was perhaps lucky with this
particular one. Also it would be very unwise to try this on any rare
types.

A wire brush may be ok on an old very weathered chondrite but even
with mechanical cleaning it should be done carefully, in the manner
that fossil preparation is undertaken if there is any special detail
that you want to reveal under caliche or other terrestrial covering.

Good luck,

Regards,

Graham