[meteorite-list] AD - JAH 626, highly shocked polymict breccia, with both basaltic eucrite and cumulate eucrite clasts

From: Fabien Kuntz <wwmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:03:16 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I have putted on my website three specimens (mirror polished) of my JAH 626 (in fact found by my lucky girlfriend, her second meteorite found !)... Classified by Tony Irving, this meteorite is realy highly shocked and melted :

"The level of shock experienced by this specimen was?equal to that?in some Martian meteorites, based on the features in plagioclase ! "

Polymict breccia composed of both basaltic eucrite and cumulate eucrite clasts plus
related debris. Pigeonite of various compositions (some exhibiting exsolution lamellae of
clinopyroxene within orthopyroxene), calcic plagioclase, silica polymorph, chromite, troilite
and rare zircon. Low-Ca pigeonite (Fs32.1-39.3Wo6.3-5.1; FeO/MnO = 29.5-31.2), clinopyroxene
exsolution lamellae (Fs30.6-33.5Wo31.9-29.8; FeO/MnO = 30.7-31.0), pigeonite (Fs51.8Wo12.7;
FeO/MnO = 30.8). Plagioclase has been transformed by shock into aggregates of fine
anisotropic blades in a subspherulitic texture, indicative of quenching from melt.

http://www.wwmeteorites.com/JAH626.html

Regards, Fabien
Fabien Kuntz
M?t?orites (ventes, expertise, conf?rences)
Animation scientifique et technique
WWMETEORITES (Siret : 511 850 612 00017)
www.wwmeteorites.com?