[meteorite-list] Taking a look inside a chondrite meteorite

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 06:06:47 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

That's a great tip, Jim. I never thought to use the side of one of the wheels on my bench grinder when that was all I owned. Mine bench grinder does have side guards that would have to be unscrewed and dismounted. Now I have a four station wet/dry cabachon maker that has a six inch flat polishing wheel on one side that you can stick different diamond grit discs on. I like it because there's no mandrel in the middle and it's easy to change the discs.

Adam Hupe' turned me on to these neat diamond grit hard sponge sanding blocks used in finishing granite counter tops and auto body work. You can buy a set of different grits from 80 to 2000 on E-Bay for around $100.00 and they can be used wet, or dry.

You can also buy an inexpensive portable (about the size of a shoe box) DC to AC Inverter to clip to your vehicle battery to power your grinder, or Dremel in the field. Must run the engine to get the amps neeeded.

Best regards to all,

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536