[meteorite-list] Potential Hypothetical Value?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 19:09:18 +0200

Hi David,

if such a stone was either purchased or sold, then I'd think, no matter of
which potential nature this stone may be - the determination of the value
will happen in a very trivial manner: the price, which was paid for.
Hence in fact that's also the method taxes/customs on meteorites are
calculated too.
For exhibitions the meteorites usually are insured for the full market value
of the specimen.

>I am curious how other list members handle insurance replacement values
>for sending unclassified material to an expert(?).

Usually only 20% or 20grams of an unclassified are handed in for
classification,
so that at least, for the extremely rare case a shipment will be lost, there
most of the stone will be still preserved.

>It seems a shame to cut into a specimen in two pieces before it's been
>properly identified.

But else you can't properly identify a meteorite, the methods of
classification require that
and the standardized process of formal authentication requires that a share
of a newly found meteorite has to be given as a deposit for reference
purposes and for further studies.

Meteorites aren't only collectibles, they are in first line objects of
scientific research.

And anyway,
for very valuable specimens I'd recommend to deliver them in person.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----