[meteorite-list] OT: Photographs Raining From the Sky After Tornadoes

From: James Beauchamp <falcon99_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 14:37:02 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for the reply all (OT disclaimer!)..

Debris is scattered everywhere around the OKC metro. Mostly little stuff - shards of insulation, cardboard, lots of leaves.

The metro was extremely lucky because the events stayed out of heavily populated areas. The atmospheric conditions were ripe for a big event. State workers and even some schools were released early in anticipation. Joplin's horrible storm was still fresh in everyone's minds, adding to the nerve-fray factor.

Our part of town was in the bullseye of the Chickasha tornado. We were huddled with neighbors in their bunker, and watched the wall cloud pass over with multiple vorticies moving about in random directions. It was also an eerie green-gray color (green = lots of energy).

Fortunately for us, the storm was in it's final "rope out" phase, dotting short-lived damage around our area, but leaving most alone.

We did get another round of tennis ball sized hail and a lot of rain.

Walking into work the next morning, I picked up a piece of paper that turned out to be a W-2 of someone whose house was disintegrated to the foundation. I made contact with them on Facebook that afternoon, rejoicing that they were OK. It's in the mail to their PO box.

Hopefully, this is the last round of this stuff for the year.

Thanks also for the emails and phone calls from my meteor buddies. You guys rock (pardon the pun).

James