[meteorite-list] Zapotectites- Hunting the Central American Tektite

From: brian burrer <brimane_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 14:32:21 -0500

Hi list,

I have returned from another trip to Belize where I hunted tektites
with the intent of expanding the strewnfield. It is hot and dry there
in early May and for two weeks I acquired a darker tan and some
tektites. Science also benefitted as the size of the strewfield in
Belize was quadrupled. More of the strewnfield will likely be
discovered in Guatemala but with a per-capita murder rate four times
as high as Mexico I will only go there after much prudent
consideration.
In spite of the heat Belize is always a comfortable place to visit and
the people are mostly very friendly. Even in Belize City the
aggression level is much lower than in a place like Montego Bay,
Jamaica. The average grade level completed in school is often
limited. Most only attend five or six years of school (Jeff Foxworthy
turned out OK with as little) so stick to the basics with them and
don't start gushing profoundly. I watched a colleague mire down
several times when he ebulliently expounded about tektites with
locals- too much information!
If you wish to hunt for these stones then you should start by focusing
on gravel. High terrace deposits have produced good specimens but
they are often chipped if recovered from a gravel quarry. The roads
that are gravel covered also may contain tektites and a local man has
recovered several specimens using this tactic. You can also find them
in stream gravels- one very abraded specimen was recovered this way
during this trip. Always ask the landowner's permission before
hunting. In one instance I found the landowner visiting a property
that looked promising. I asked for permission to hunt and was
rewarded with several finds.
I am not selling any specimens but maybe I might trade for special
tektites. If anyone on the list would like to help with calculating a
market price for these tektites please contact me off list.
I wish the best of fortune to any who venture forth and hunt. No need
for detectors or magnets as the quarry is too discreet to reveal
itself with these tools. Keep looking because they are there- you
just have to look at the right spot.

Happy hunting,
Brian