[meteorite-list] Test your Meteorite Knowledge, Win a Free Assortment of Micromounts!

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:21:37 -0400

Just a few minor corrections. Hopewell and Anasazi are not names of tribes.
They signify prehistoric traditions or cultures, not individual tribes. We
don't know the names of prehistoric tribes because they left no written
histories. The large earthworks built by Midwestern and Eastern prehistoric
American Indians are not burial mounds. While some contain burials, this
does not seem to be the primary purpose of the mounds. Archaeologists
believe the mounds were for ceremonial and social purposes. Some have
postulated the earthern structures were astronomical observatories. I just
saw a documentary on the Chaco Canyon culture where they showed how all the
buildings, kivas and towers were designed to line up on the solstices. The
western Native Americans did not build mounds. It was the Sinagua people,
not the Anasazi, who interred the Winona meteorite in a stone cist dug into
the floor of a pit house.

Phil "Paints With Heart" Whitmer (Coquille tribal name)

Hi List,

I want to thank everyone who responded to the questions. :)

Only one person answered both questions correctly.

Here are the correct answers :

> Question #1 - Out of all the areas of the world known for finding

> meteorites, which area has yielded the most classified meteorites?

Answer - The Yamato icefield of Antarctica. A staggering 13715
meteorites have been found and classified on this icefield. This is
far more than any other region on the planet. In fact, according to
the Meteoritical Society's "List of Dense Collection Areas", 8 of the
top 10 dense collection areas are in Antarctica.

Yamato - (13715)
NWA - (6161) - this number is undoubtedly larger and may not include
provisional meteorites.
Queen Alexandra Range - (3480)
Asuka - (2527)
Grove Mountains - (2436)
Elephant Moraine - (2204)
Lewis Cliff - (1960)
Allan Hills - (1826)
LaPaz Icefield - (1504)
Dhofar - (1497)
Miller Range - (1181)

> Question #2 - One meteorite, above all others, is known for being

> associated with Indian burial mounds. What is the name of this

> meteorite, and what is the name of the tribe associated with the

> mounds?

Answer - the answer I had in mind was Brenham and the Hopewell mounds.
However, Anne Black correctly pointed out that Winona was found in an
Anasazi mound. This latter answer would have been acceptable also.

> BONUS QUESTION (good for one extra free micromount) - Name 3

> meteorites that have struck motor vehicles.

Answer - St. Louis, Peekskill, Benld, Neagari - those are 4 that come
to mind, there may be more.

Thanks for participating!

MikeG