[meteorite-list] non-magnetic meteorites?

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:32:52 -0400

Hi Greg and List,

Thanks for bringing up eucrites and howardites. :)

A while back, I was cutting a howardite stone for a friend, and I
noticed a big "ball bearing" metal inclusion. It was about 1cm in
diameter and it was visible on the surface of the stone, poking
through the crust. The majority of the stone showed almost no
attraction at all to a magnet, but that "ball bearing" stuck firmly to
the magnet.

Pure basaltic eucrites typically show no attraction, but some
brecciated eucrites do have free metal content. Camel Donga also
comes to mind as a eucrite that shows a mild attraction to a magnet.

I guess for those looking for a fool-proof magnetic litmus test to
seperate the wrongs from the 'rites must always be on their toes -
meteorites like to throw us curveballs to keep us honest. :)

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galactic-Stone-Ironworks/218849894809686