[meteorite-list] Bigfoot and the "Nakhla Dog" - what do they have in common?

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 17:33:08 -0600

Team Meteorite:

While I am pursuing other projects now and can't take the time to
again pursue/review or explain my peer-reviewed and published "thesis"
(see David Weir "Meteorite Studies" and Nakhla) that absolves the
Nakhla meteorite of "dogocide", one argument that was made in support
of this crime against canines was that I "couldn't prove it DIDN'T
HAPPEN."

Never mind that no one recovered a bloody meteorite or a dead dog
allegedly killed on the wrong day at the wrong place.

Science and logic are brothers in arms. My brief, college-time
exposure to "debate" (as a competition), taught me that if one argued
this double negative, "by rule" you lost the debate. Something about
being logical...

Just for fun, I bring this up as I read on Yahoo about the world's
"Top Ten unexplained things". Here's a quote from the article, please
pay special attention to the last sentence:

"For decades, large, hairy, manlike beasts called Bigfoot have
occasionally been reported by eyewitnesses across America. Despite the
thousands of Bigfoot that must exist for a breeding population, not a
single body has been found. Not one has been killed by a hunter,
struck dead by a speeding car, or even died of natural causes. In the
absence of hard evidence like teeth or bones, support comes down to
eyewitness sightings and ambiguous photos and films. Since it is
logically impossible to prove a universal negative, science will never
be able to prove that creatures like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster
do not exist, and it is possible that these mysterious beasts lurk far
from prying eyes."

Very, very far indeed.

Long live the Nakhla Dog.

Thanks to all who sent me birthday greetings this week!

Kevin Kichinka
Tambor de Alajuela, Costa Rica
www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com
www.LaQ-CostaRica.com