[meteorite-list] Scam Artist - Joel Samson - Fake Lunar Meteorites

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:30:04 -0700 (PDT)

I was made aware after my initial posting that Eric Twelker also has a genuine
piece of NWA 5K on his website which was obtained through legitimate channels.

My intent was not to exclude dealers or collectors who have legitimate pieces of
this meteorite for sale, only make prospective collectors aware that their are a
some less than honorable people out there offering bogus material.

I took extra measures from the beginning at enormous costs to protect consumers'
investments in this special meteorite by mapping every cut, rigorously
documenting every piece, imaging every slice, providing C.O.A.s, serial numbers
and tracking first-round distribution on a registry. I even cast the original
stone so there would be no argument latter on about dimensions. The weight was
certified within minutes of unpacking.

As far as I know, the extra measures have served the collecting public well. I
do not believe a single bogus piece has been placed in circulation despite con
artists attempts to do so. It would be cost prohibitive to do this with every
stone so this type of attention to detail is not the solution for most
meteorites.

Best Regards,

Adam