[meteorite-list] ANSWER - whole stone concerns

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 22:14:31 EDT

Well, Walter,

I cannot speak for Matt, but I have found that getting complete provenance
and Proof of provenance is not always all that easy.
I just discussed with a collector who has been collecting for many years,
but has moved several times in his life; he could tell me exactly what each
piece was and who he had bought it from (and some were from Matt) but he has
lost most of the paperwork.
And 2 years ago I bought a whole collection (some 200 pieces) that had been
boxed and stored in a closet for at least ten years. Again, some of the
labels and receipts were there but not all of them, some were missing, some he
just had little pieces of paper that he had handwritten and stuffed in the
boxes. Since he had stopped collecting some ten years prior, much before
meteorites got popular, I decided to take his word for it, but I had some of the
pieces verified. So I believe I have the right stuff, but you will have to
take my word for it, and you will only get my label.
In other words, it is the same old story: know your dealer, and deal only
with dealers you trust.

Does that help?

Anne M. Black
_www.IMPACTIKA.com_ (http://www.IMPACTIKA.com)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
President of IMCA
_www.IMCA.cc_ (http://www.IMCA.cc)

In a message dated 5/8/2011 6:27:18 PM Mountain Daylight Time,