[meteorite-list] Dawn Journal - May 3, 2011

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 19:34:21 -0500

On July 16, DAWN will enter a circum-Vestan orbit at
an altitude of 9,600 miles above Vesta. Its altitude will
be lowered progressively once the orbit has been tweaked
to the precise parameters needed. Vesta is not a "sphere,"
so orbiting its center of gravity causes your distance from
its surface to vary like you were on a roller coaster. Give
it plenty of room; don't want to clip the asteroid, ya know...
It's a long way to the nearest body shop.

Sterling K. Webb