[meteorite-list] A New Nearby Oddball Planet

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 23:27:41 -0500

Carl,

Molly Be Damned only has a density of 10.22 despite its
boiling point of 4912K -- it's too light.

We need to add something to an iron ball (density 8)
that is dense enough to raise the average to 11.0. We need
a minor component of density 18.0 or more.

Tungsten has a density of 19.25 and a melting point of
3680K and a boiling point 5828K. It would be "frozen"
solid at the 3000K surface temperature of the planet, but
the Molly Be Damned would be a liquid ocean...

I'll give you sparkling lakes of Molly Be Damned in the
Valleys of the Tungsten Mountains...

In reality -- hard to remember this planet is real, isn't
it? -- there must be a crust of dense refractory minerals
made from all the denser and refractory elements. Perhaps
this planet is the fried remains of a small gas giant core
that spiuraled in close?

One thing I can guarantee -- it's one weird place.

Sterling K. Webb