[meteorite-list] POP QUIZ answer

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 10:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,

Thank you everyone that sent in your answers for the POP QUIZ FRIDAYS posting.

Question

Please tell me which meteorite fall was one of the first falls to be recognized by scientists as a rock from space.

Answer

Chassigny is a fall from 1815 in France and as such was one of the first meteorite falls to be recognized by scientists as a rock from space. It is curated by the Paris Museum. Chassigny is the only martian meteorite which is a dunite, or olivine cumulate. It consists mostly of Fe-rich olivine with minor clinopyroxene, feldspar, oxides, sulfides, and phosphates. It contains oxidized iron in its chromite and rare amphiboles in melt inclusions. It contains trace amounts of carbonate and sulfate salts in cracks inside the sample.

http://curator.jsc.nasa.gov/antmet/marsmets/chassigny/sample.cfm

I can say this the LAigle meteorite helped the notion of the idea that meteorites fall from the sky but LAigle from a scientific value and history value wasn't stated to be from space. I have done some looking around and from what I can find Chassigny meteorite is one of the first meteorite falls to be recognized by scientists to be from outer space and it comes from NASA's website. I will looking into this further and see if they can direct me into the right direction where I can find the direct source/sources that state this.

The winner of a McKenzie Draw(B) meteorite fragment found in Texas, USA in the summer of 1989 while a farmer was plowing a peanut field is Rich J.

Thank you

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore