[meteorite-list] Fireball question / sonic boom

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:17:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jeff and List

Thanks for the link "Sounds Associated with Witnessed Meteorite Falls".
  As a newcomer to chasing fireballs my experience is limited. My only
reference is what locals experienced at Buzzard Coulee , Ash Creek and
Mifflin. At Buzzard Coulee the locals within the main strewn field
explained the event as explosions of large fireworks. One resident was
working in his garage said it sounded like someone was rolling bowling
balls across his tin roof than a large flash illuminated outside. Ash
Creek residents under one of the main breakups reported hearing a
large explosion and then seeing a smoke trail followed by two more
explosions. At Mifflin I had a chance to talk with numerous residents.
Near Mineral Point one person described the sound as a large explosion
followed by a popping sound and then a vacuum sound as the meteor
passed overhead. At the far end of the strewn field 10 miles East of
Mineral Point the sound was described as rumbling sound compared to
thunder followed by the same vacuum sound as the meteor passed
overhead. The best way they explained the vacuum sound was as if a
military jet was passing directly overhead at high speed.

Sonny