[meteorite-list] Sonic Boom

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 05:24:15 -0700 (PDT)

Something to keep in mins is each time an irregularly shaped body wobbles and a
promentory on the body sticks out into the slipstream a sonic boom aka shockwave
will be formed.

They also echo off mountain ranges making hearing them a cacophony of rumbles
arriving long after the end of incandescent. ( in am in a challenge to
legitimately use the world "cacophony" at least 5 times in my life.)

Interesting question Ryan the meteoroid is traveling so disporportionately fast
as compared to the sonic shockwave I surmise as has been my experience we hear
sonic booms appear to come from different places in the sky. I've also seen
some eyewitness reports suggesting multiple sonic booms arriveing at different
times. I suspect this has to do with slope and wobble also.

BTW George, I think the point of retardation is closer to 4500mph than 9000mph.

Elton