[meteorite-list] POP QUIZ FRIDAYS ANSWER

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:50:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers

I like to thank everyone that submitted their answers to me for this installment of POP QUIZ FRIDAYS. I would have to say the question I asked was kinda a hard one to research on the Internet, but if you some poking around, you would have found the answer. I would like to congratulate Regine P. being the first Lister to give me the correct answer because I didnt get a 7th Lister to send me the right answer. Regine won a free issue of Meteorite magazine from Feb 1998 which this issue has great images taken by Martin G. Horejsi, article about The Burnwell meteorite, Centerpiece about Melrose(a), and a visit about the old woman meteorite and not to mention other great articles to read about. I also have to add I enjoy looking at the AD's from 1998 and comparing them to now.

The question:

Please tell me how many F Class asteroids there are in the main belt.

The answer:

The rarity of F-class asteroids (only
4%, 92 of 2000 classified asteroids) and ureilites (only
0.6% of meteorite falls, 6 of 987) suggests that the
source region in the asteroid belt is a spectral anomaly.

The answer can be found in the Oct-Nov 2010 Maps issue in the article called

Almahata Sitta (=asteroid 2008 TC3) and the search for the ureilite parent body
                                 By

Peter JENNISKENS1*, Je?re?mie VAUBAILLON2, Richard P. BINZEL3, Francesca E. DeMEO3,4,
David NESVORNY? 5, William F. BOTTKE5, Alan FITZSIMMONS6, Takahiro HIROI7,
Franck MARCHIS1, Janice L. BISHOP1, Pierre VERNAZZA8, Michael E. ZOLENSKY9,
Jason S. HERRIN9, Kees C. WELTEN10, Matthias M. M. MEIER11, and Muawia H. SHADDAD1

If by chance you dont have Maps and cant access the article on the Internet email me off the?List and Ill send you a pdf file with the information.

Till next time, rock on :)

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore