[meteorite-list] Info on Polishing Cut Stones? ( AD ++ )

From: BRIAN SCHROEDER <brian_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:13:52 -0800

Hello Chris
Yes, there is alot of Scientific detail in
Polishing a Cut Stone. Problem is , what type of stone ??
Sapphire, Quartz, Iolite, Tanzanite, etc.. All of
these have different Hardnesses, Structural
Properties, Alignment of Molecules, and a vast
difference in the way they are handled, Cut and Polished...
There are several Books written on techniques,
alignment, preparation and special handling of
many of these Gemstones.. Not Rocket Science

Now when we get to Meteorites and Tektites, their
is Very Little Information available on these
when it comes to Cutting and Polishing these
Materials into Finished Gemstones..
Experience is a wondrous thing.. The difference
between a pile of gravel and a Finished Gem may
stem from experimentation, experience and knowledge.
A Gemstone that is aesthetically pleasing, that
will hold it's Final Polish and retain it's
internal Strength is the desired result we all wish to achieve...

Some Gems may need to be submersed in a Liquid
while cutting and Polishing, others need to be
aligned properly to show color, some minerals
have directional hardnesses and the X, Y & Z Axis
may all have different hardnesses and hold a final polish differently.
Meteorites are Minerals, and most of them closely
match minerals we already have here on earth.
Recognizing that a Moldavite Polishes like Quartz
, BUT shows the best colors when Sapphire Facet
angles are used, and these angles change as the
Gems Size increase are all part of getting a beautiful final result.
Orienting a mineral is also important when
Cutting and Polishing, knowing how to " read "
the Parent Piece and Aligning it properly on that
First Cut can be the difference between $$ and ?
? .. I am sure many can attest to this..

Now when cutting a Campo iron meteorite and
noting the fact that it cuts like Pyrite and
polished like Chill Cast Iron goes along way in
saving Time and Materials, as well as achieving the desired final results.
OR -you could just grab a piece of Fine Grit
Sandpaper and place it on a sturdy , flat surface
, moisten and polish for awhile and hope for the Best ??

RECOMMENDATIONS :
Send your material to me , and I will Cut, Facet,
Cabochon, or Carve your materials for you at a
Minimal Cost and return them to you.
I cut for many individual and commercial clients,
Internationally, and have excellent references. ( Mr. Reynolds ? )
Tektites in all forms are my specialty, BUT
anything can be cut as long as it is Structurally
Sound. See Link http://www.tektites.co.uk/SchroederB.html
Contact me to arrange a Trial Facet Job, at a
very Low Cost compared to having your materials
Cut by Local Gem Cutters. Any and all Inquiries welcome.
Contact me directly if you are interested. brian at aajewel.com

Send any questions you may have directly to me , to avoid clutter on the List..
Highest Regards

Brian Schroeder
IMCA # 7381

brian at aajewel.com