[meteorite-list] Double Planets

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:28:43 -0500

Larry is right (who could doubt it?).

I got it backward. Charon would have to move
closer to Pluto to get their barycenter inside
Pluto. Presently, their center-to-center distance
is 19,600 km.

If you pushed'em to only 10,650 km apart, the
barycenter would be at Pluto's surface. The two
planetary surfaces would then be only 8900 km
apart! (They're 17,850 km apart now.) Then,
they'd have to be even closer for the barycenter
to be inside Pluto.

That would be quite a view! Either way.

Sterling K. Webb