[meteorite-list] When is a Iron Meteorite too small to have tested.

From: Dave Myers <whitefalcons007_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 22:36:17 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List,

When is a possible iron meteorite too small to have tested? What looks like a
tiny oriented iron. Is only 7mm long,
5mm high by 4mm wide. I am not sure what the weight would be? maybe a gram?
maybe alot less. No clue.

In 2010 I went to my cousins farm, (rock hunting) Got out of my Jeep, walked 30
yards along a hay-field, crossed a creek
and started looking at glacier rocks on a gravel bar, when I seen it was stuck
to my magnet, I always have my camera, so I took pictures. It seems the surface
rust is very thin. It turned black from the oils on my fingers in just a couple
of days.

I did?file a window, it is solid, no gas holes. So I am thinking this may be too
small to test, "not sure what is required."

If I did my own acid etch, and it did produce a widmanstatten pattern, like
a?Cape York iron, Is that 100% proff that it is a meteorite?

I would donate 100% of somthing this small, just to say, I found the 13th,
meteorite in Ohio. Like I am sure most people would.?

Any way here is a facebook link with pictures, for thows interested. I also
posted a glacier map of Ohio and plotted all meteorites found here. It is
interesting that most?were found in the glacier boundry.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=65953&id=100000209843157&l=ae4ac4cc16

dave Myers