[meteorite-list] Nickel found in hematite and magnetite?

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:57:35 -0700

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 7:26 PM, <cdtucson at cox.net> wrote:
> Dan.
> ?thank you for your info but,
> There is no way we are talking about the same XRF gun.
> Blain's gun does in fact give data in percentages as if the rock was assayed.
> I saw it with my own eyes. We did several test samples of real and well known meteorites. During this test we read the digital results directly from the gun itself and then compared the knows with the percentage results from the gun.

Hello Carl and all!

I had the opportunity of watching this gun in action and let me tell
you, what a great compliment to the Tucson show it provided. There
were some interesting "rocks" at the show that would have been
leaverites for a lot longer period of time without that gun.
While it's a major investment, I do hope that the thing pays for
itself over time. It can do so much, there is opportunity to use it
well beyond meteorites.
With the gun being there at the show, it relieved a lot of tension
knowing we could run over there and shoot a stone! Awesome! It was
greatly appreciated.
One question I had about the gun, although I think this would be the
norm...can the file it creates be parsed and sent in a human readable
format? IOW's, shoot a rock and later download the file and send the
results to the rock owner??

BTW, I think a demo of this unit and a small talk about it would make
for a good "Pre-Blood" Auction program prior to the auction.

Cheers!

Jim Wooddell