[meteorite-list] Historical notes

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 21:03:07 -0700 (PDT)

Mark and Listers

I would have to say what a great start on posting historical documentation on meteorite falls. I would agree about historical/scientific meteorite falls needing to be celebrated and learned about. When I first started to collect meteorites, I was first introduced to Sikhot-Alin from a TV jewelry show network. From that point on I was fascinated by all of the different type of meteorites out there and at one point, got mesmerized by the idea of collecting by type specimens.

But I think it was when I read Ernst Florens Friedrich Chladni (1756?1827) and the origins of modern meteorite research by Ursula B. Marvin, http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1996M%26PS...31..545M was when I was first introduced to the rich history that meteorites played in the development of meteoritic science and how these events tie into the legacy and history of historic meteorite falls. If anyone?had a little I suggest you take a look at the link above and sit back and relax and leanr about some meteorite falls that forever changed meteoritic science and science.
?
?
Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633