[meteorite-list] Water Jet Cutting

From: almitt2 at localnet.com <almitt2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:13:37 -0500

Greetings,

About ten years back I experimented with water jets for cutting
material. Besides the water they used garnet as the abrasive in the
water. There are different stream sizes they can use. Sizes don't come
to me as I am writing this from memory.

I cut some Odessa, Texas irons. Those have many inclusions and the jet
would whip around in the material and remove the silicates in the iron
and leave a big gaping hole. I like the surface where it was relatively
flat. it would still require lapping after cutting it. I soaked the
specimens on the spot in a high percentage alcohol to try to rid it of
some of the high pressure moisture it experience and you would want to
put the specimen in a drier for a period to remove moisture which is
some what of a problem. They did use distilled water in their system.

I think cutting irons that are more homogeneous might work better but
then you never know what your going to get when you cut and you could
"eat" a unique inclusion out on your specimen using this method.

I think the problem using this method is two fold. First your
impregnating the specimen with water that has to be dried out in order
to preserve it. Second anything that isn't uniform in composition and
varies results in fast cutting in one spot and slow cutting in another
spot. The first area to be cut then is exposed to abrasion and pitting
from bouncing particles which has to be lapped out. Also the cost is
not effective unless you have rare material and do you really want to
expose something rare to that type of pressure. It could disintegrate.
Cutting something friable would be a really bad idea as you are working
with shop people who might not be clear on the concept of a rare
material.

My assessment is that it is not an effective way to cut specimens. Lap
saws with a 1/100 thick blade or wire saw is much more effective.

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites